The Day Before Surgery
Do I need to do anything special the day or night before surgery?
Someone from the hospital or surgery center will call you to discuss pre-operative instructions. They usually include the following:
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight the day of your surgery. You may brush your teeth, taking care not to swallow any water.
- Follow your doctor's orders regarding the taking of any medications the night before or the day or your surgery.
- Refrain from smoking after midnight the day of your surgery.
- Notify your surgeon if there is any change in your physical condition, such as a cold, fever or flu symptom.
- If there is a chance you are pregnant, please notify your surgeon immediately.
What medications should I stop taking prior to surgery?
Your surgeon and anesthesiologist will determine what medications you should stop taking before surgery, when they should be stopped, and when you can resume taking them after surgery.
- Next >>